Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Halloween!


So the last couple years I haven't really done anything on Halloween. I am at that age where you obviously don't go trick or treating, so unless you have a party to go to, it's just sort of another day. This is a little sad for me because I really like Halloween, I mean how could I not love a holiday where everything is orange???

This year I received a text from Bekki Read asking if Lila and I were doing anything on Halloween! She asked if we would want to dress up and ride ponies at their Halloween party. Ummm YES!! So I agreed that we would come, after the fact I asked, what exactly will we be doing? Bekki said it was a haunted walk for the kids  and we would dress up and ride around trying to scare the them! When we found that out, we were all in!

So, after work on Halloween, Lila and I drove over to the Reads. They had plenty of costumes, I wound up wearing a funny dress with a cape over my riding clothes and a wig under my helmet, hysterical. Lila wore a knight's cape with some crazy black wig (she had to use a bigger helmet to fit over the hair) and she got to carry a sword! Bekki was dressed up as a princess and her pony, Playboy, was a unicorn! So cute! 

Once we were dressed, Bekki showed us the ponies we would ride. Lila got Pico, a cute little pinto, who was wearing a knight quarter sheet. We went to get my pony, Tilly, and she started running in circles as soon as she saw us haha. Bekki decided maybe it would be a bit much for her, so she said I could ride Misty, she did Halloween last year so she thought she would be good. 

We tacked up and got on, by this time it was very dark out. I can NOT see in the dark, I mean at all, I can't even see my hand a foot in front of my face when it's dark. So, I was hoping that Misty had good night vision! We all rode down to the cross country course where there were red flares, mist, and people stationed in different areas making lots of noise to scare the kids. Put all this together with children walking around and it was enough to worry the bravest of ponies. Bekki said last year they must have gotten on earlier because it wasn't so dark. 

This turned out to be the most hysterical thing I have ever done on a horse, well pony! Misty kept taking off, I was mildly worried about running someone over. She was pretty good if I stuck with the other ponies but occasionally each pony had their own spooking problem which would set her off. We tried to just ride around making noises but since we weren't in excellent control of the ponies we stayed away for the kids. We tried to get a picture of all the ponies and Misty kept dropping her front end and running backwards or half rearing and trying to run away. If it was a big horse I didn't know at all, it would have been nerve racking, but on the little pony it was just funny! We decided they had enough and took them back to the barn. We were laughing so hard! 

We decided next year we would plan ahead! We would figure out our costumes ahead of time and practice on the ponies! Maybe we will even try jousting! All in all it was the most fun Halloween and I can't wait until next year!!

No comments:

Post a Comment