Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Post vacation

I just went home to Michigan for the first time in over a year. It was a great trip, I was able to catch up with friends and family I haven't seen in a long time. It's not too often I go days with out riding, or even seeing horses, and I realized I sometimes take my job/ what I'm doing with my life for granted. 

I always feel very lucky to be able to ride horses, but coming back from vacation made me realize how much I really love what I'm doing. I went out for a drink with a very good friend from high school, we haven't seen each other in years. We were discussing how cool it is we are both doing what we always wanted to. She has always loved fish, and has been able to make a career out of that. I always loved horses and I have a job where I get to ride most of the day! I think most people reach a point where their dreams get put on a back burner so they can conquer "real life." Thankfully, I was pig headed enough not to listen to anyone who told me I should get a "real job," and make money and have horses on the side. 

A lot of people didn't understand my love for horses and many more never thought it would be a good career. Going to college wasn't ever a question for me though, I always knew I would go and I even wanted to. I chose a school where I would receive a business degree first and foremost (equine business management), I always wanted a fall back just incase! I have been fortunate to work for wonderful, encouraging people that have helped me along the way. I have no doubt that is why this is working out as a career for me. Don't get me wrong, it is a ton of work, but if you give up, you will never know. I still may not "make it" but I never would if I just gave up. 

I got back to NC last night and when I got up this morning and went to work, I was so excited to be able to ride. I couldn't wait to get chores done so I could get on Union! Then I was able to ride five more horses, a dream come true. Nothing like a little break to make you appreciate what you have and what you're doing!

No comments:

Post a Comment