Thursday, October 2, 2014

Bits part one: Rosie's Girl

I was asked to write a blog about the bits I use on the horses I am currently riding. I decided I would do a blog on each so I can discuss what I use, why, and what I have tried in the past. I'm not saying I'm an expert on bits, just giving my opinion on what I've tried :)

I thought I would start with Rosie since she is the most straight forward. Rosie is an ottb mare who can be quite sensitive, she has successfully made the move up to preliminary this summer.  I currently ride her in all phases in a loose ring snaffle, with an oval piece in the middle. Her dressage bit is a KK, but her jumping bit is a much cheaper bit that looks basically the same. I have never needed to try anything stronger on Rosie because she is very light in the bridle. I think if I tried anything stronger at this point, it would cause her to get tight and would make her bounce up and down more in the canter. I could also see her becoming afraid of her mouth being touched if too strong a bit was used.

I do ride her on the flat in a Micklem bridle. With the flat work improving and asking her to sit and lift more, Rosie was getting a little tight in her jaw. She wasn't really crossing it but I had heard the Micklem could possibly help. I decided to try it and I really like her in it, I tried it jumping and it was a little too much. Rosie can be more sensitive in her mouth jumping than she usually is on the flat. She jumps in a figure eight bridle that she seems quite happy in.

At some point in the future I wouldn't be surprised if I need a slightly stronger bit cross country (I would probably try a wonder bit if I needed more control), on the other hand part of me could see her going the rest of her career in a snaffle. Since she is a thoroughbred who likes to run it is possible I may need more but I am quite happy to keep her in the snaffle as long as possibly. She is very rideable and confident, so if I can keep her that way as she moves up the levels a snaffle may be just fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment