Thursday, October 24, 2013

Thinking about the Sunny South

The weather is getting colder, it even snowed a little today, the horses are getting fuzzy, it's time to get the h%#^ out of here! Once upon a time I was a hardcore winter girl, I never liked it but it never stopped me from riding. After six (soon to be seven!) winters in North Carolina, I fully admit I am a bit of a winter wimp.

I grew up in Michigan, I worked at the barn seven days a week, I did afternoon chores after school and the rode a couple horses until I had to go home and do homework. I spent all day of the weekends at the barn, I did this all winter long, nothing stopped me. I then moved to RI/MA while in college and basically did the same thing. I am sure I complained about the cold and snow but it was what it was and I just dealt with it. I think when you are outside all winter long you get a little acclimated and the cold doesn't bother you quite so much. I am no longer this person haha.

Don't get me wrong, there are days in Southern Pines that chill you to the bone, they are usually followed by a warm sunny day though. The weather doesn't stay cold for weeks on end, you always get little breaks and so it never seems too bad. When you can jump outside, school cross country and even start competing during the "cold winter months" there isn't much to complain about. I'm not sure  I could handle a real winter again, I'm sure at some point in the future I will have to but it will be with a lot of complaining hahaha.

We are getting ready to leave (about threes weeks), there is a lot to do, to close up the barn, but it usually goes by very quickly. Normally at this point in the year we do not have any "outings" left but this year we have a 15 mile ride we are taking several horses on and I am riding Jumbie in an Irish horse demo at Equine Affaire in Massachusetts. This will make the last weeks fly by and before you know it we will be on our way!











No comments:

Post a Comment