Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Cross Country Schooling AGAIN!

Today I trailered Millie to Meri Secrist's farm to cross country school. She was absolutely fantastic! I couldn't have been happier with her. I wanted to get her out to a few different places to school before going to Southern Pines I and this school made me feel like she is really ready to go!

I tacked her up and hacked down the long driveway to the path to the cross country course, Karen McCollum met us there on her horse Pearl. I walked Millie around a bit and then trotted and cantered her around. Millie was TERRIBLE at going down hills last summer, this year she is so much stronger I could canter her down the hills without feeling like she was going to fall down! She feels so much stronger, fitter, and more confidant than last year. I warmed up cantering over a small box a few times and then did a small picture frame to a small stone wall. She was a little backed off to the picture frame but the second time around jumped it fine. We then went down and I cantered around over some logs and things and popped the tiny ditch. She was great a positive to everything, she went up and down a small bank and even did the half coffin! She is so much more game now! We went to the water and she just trotted right in. Meri has a great big water complex with every size drops in. We trotted out over the small bank and then dropped in over the same one, Millie didn't hesitate or anything just plopped right in! She was so good! I then cantered the long way across the water and out over a log and back in over the log. Millie left out a stride both times going out over the log, I saw a good three but she just left the ground at 2! I trotted out over the log one more time so she could see she could get close and just pop it.

I really feel like Millie is ready for Southern Pines now! If all goes well she should be able to go Novice up north!

No comments:

Post a Comment