Sunday, February 6, 2011

New way to warm Cordi up

So the last few days I have been playing around with ways to warm Cordi up. She tends to be behind the leg when I first start out and when I ask her to go forward in the trot she will break to canter, occasionally she will buck. Once I do canter her, usually off her back at first, she is much better and more forward. So I was trying to figure out if there was a better way to get her forward and loose without her getting upset about it.

I tried just trotting around with a loop in the rein so there was no confusion about going forward, my leg was on and she had nothing in the bridle to make her think maybe I didn't want her to go. After I cantered I went back to riding normally with a soft connection. This seemed to be a pretty good warm up, there was no drama, she swished her tail a bit when I asked her to go forward but didn't get upset.

The next day I was in the indoor because it was so rainy, again I thought I would play around with how to warm her up. This time I tried to put her deep, super deep. I put her nose down by her fetlocks, I didn't even know she would go that deep! I walked with her that deep for 10ish minutes, doing a lot of circles and changes of direction. I figured I may as well try and trot her that deep and see what happens. I figured she would probably try and come up when I asked for the trot, but she didn't! I was so surprised she went into this forward swingy trot that I don't normally get until at least half way through the ride. She felt amazing! Again I did a lot of circles and changes of direction, she stayed deep and through and over her back. I couldn't believe she had no reserve about going forward she was motoring along really well. Normally indoors she is less forward and I have a harder time getting her to go. When I went up to canter I couldn't keep her quite that deep but she stayed through in her transition. I kept her somewhat deep in the canter and when I went back to trot I brought her frame back up to where I normally work her and she was so steady. She stayed nice and forward and I was able to work on some lengthening and smaller figures without her trying to slow down or get unsteady in the bridle.

I worked her the same way the next time I rode and got the same results! I am going to keep going with this new warm up routine and see how it goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment